Most Active Stories
- Auto workers petition to block UAW, 2015 red snapper season and Cycling League state championship
- Restraining order against Lear Corp, First Lady at Tuskegee and Tallapoosa County tax vote
- Gambling bill hearing, potential mental health cuts and Alzheimer's research
- Red Snapper Season, Alabama High School Cycling League
- Where Poor Kids Grow Up Makes A Huge Difference
Business & Education
Tue November 20, 2012
Ala Stores Target in Wal-Mart Black Friday Strike
Alabama stores are among the locations being targeted in a Black Friday strike by Wal-Mart workers.
AL.com (http://bit.ly/SN6cW4 ) reports the planned strike includes 55 Wal-Mart and Sam's Club stores in Alabama. A website set up by organizers includes stores in Birmingham, Huntsville, Mobile, Montgomery and others.
Only the Wal-Mart in the Birmingham suburb of Pelham has a strike leader name and lists a time when the walk-out will begin.
The protest is being planned by the Organization United for Respect at Wal-Mart, a subset of the United Food and Commercial Workers Union.
Wal-Mart employees across the country have complained about the stores opening at 8 a.m. on Thanksgiving day.
Federal labor officials Monday said they're trying to decide whether to support the company's request to intervene.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.