Most Active Stories
- Siegelman Denied New Trial, Mental Health Budget Concerns
- Layoffs for Alabama Workers, Solar Sail Set to Launch
- Granade Issues Same-Sex Ruling, Busy Travel Weekend Expected
- Biden comments on civil rights and Selma, Bloody Sunday anniversary, Montgomery music premiere
- Historian Says Don't 'Sanitize' How Our Government Created Ghettos
Thu October 3, 2013
Ala. Speaker Sends $17,797 From Campaign To State
Republican House Speaker Mike Hubbard recently transferred nearly $18,000 from his campaign fund to the state treasury.
Hubbard said he made the transfer of $17,797 because the campaign rules are not clear and he wanted to be extra careful.
His campaign received the $17,797 in August from a political action committee that Hubbard operated for years. A letter accompanying the transfer to the state said the campaign finance law is vague and the contribution from the Network PAC may be "potentially inappropriate." It said the money couldn't be returned to the PAC because Hubbard closed it shortly after making the donation. The letter says state law allows the issue to be resolved by donating the money to the state.
Hubbard reported the transfer on his latest campaign finance form.