Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Mon August 18, 2014
Ala. Sorority Member Expelled After Offensive Post
Officials from Chi Omega Fraternity say a member of the organization's University of Alabama chapter has been expelled for a racially offensive post that was distributed via social media over the weekend.
University of Alabama President Judy Bonner said in a statement that a student made an offensive post to SnapChat Saturday afternoon that prompted an investigation by the Office of Student Conduct. Sororities at the University of Alabama held their fall membership recruitment programs over the weekend. The campus was engulfed in controversy last fall following reports that some majority white groups rejected blacks because of their race.
Chi Omega spokeswoman Whitney Plumpton says the sorority embraces women from all walks of life and the recent group of new pledges included two African-American women and other minorities.
UA sorority recruitment
UA Sorority Racism
UA Sorority Recruitment
UA Sorority Investigation