Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Tue February 26, 2013
Ala. Senate Delays School Flexibility Bill
A school flexibility bill recently passed by the Alabama House won't come up in the Senate until at least Thursday.
The Senate's Republican leadership had planned to ask the Senate to pass the bill Tuesday. But Senate President Pro Tem Del Marsh, R-Anniston, says they decided to wait because three Republican senators were either absent or late Tuesday. He says he hopes to bring up the bill Thursday.
It is one of the goals for the Legislature's Republican majority this session. The bill would allow school systems to have flexibility in complying with many state education laws, provided the changes are approved by the State Board of Education. The primary issue over the bill is whether to allow flexibility with teacher tenure laws.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.
School flexibility bill
2013 Legislative Session