Most Active Stories
- Siegelman Denied New Trial, Mental Health Budget Concerns
- BP and Gulf Coast Tourism, Alabama Choirs Headed to Japan
- Granade Issues Same-Sex Ruling, Busy Travel Weekend Expected
- Layoffs for Alabama Workers, Solar Sail Set to Launch
- NOAA Opens Tuscaloosa Water Center, State Legislature passes Education Budget
Thu May 2, 2013
Ala. Senate Delays School Budget Until Next Week
Plans to address the education budget Thursday in the state Senate got postponed.
Senate Rules Committee Chairman Jabo Waggoner of Vestavia Hills says the budget was being delayed until next week because of disagreements over a pay raise for K-12 employees and other issues.
Senate budget committee Chairman Trip Pittman of Daphne favors a 1 percent raise with the possibility of a 1 percent bonus. The House approved a 2 percent raise. Pittman says he may come around to the House's view if he sees the raise is sustainable in future years.
He says another issue is how much money to pay back to a state trust fund that provided money in previous years to prevent cuts in school spending.
The state General Fund budget is also unresolved.
2013 Legislative Session