Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
School flexibility bill
Tue February 26, 2013
Ala. Senate to Consider School Flexibility Bill
A school flexibility bill recently passed by the Alabama House is slated for debate in the Senate.
The Senate's Republican leadership plans to ask the Senate to pass the bill Tuesday. It is one of the goals for the Legislature's Republican majority this session. The bill would allow schools system to have flexibility in complying with many state education laws, provided the changes are approved by the State Board of Education. Senators say the battle will be over whether to allow flexibility in complying with teacher tenure laws.
The bill passed by the House would allow a school system to offer a traditional tenure program and a non-tenure program, and it would be up to the employee to choose which one to use.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.
Alabama School Standards
2013 Legislative Session
Alabama Education Policies