Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Fri January 3, 2014
Ala. Sen. Billy Beasley Considers Run For Governor
Democratic state Sen. Billy Beasley of Clayton is considering running for governor.
The four-term legislator says his campaign platform would include repealing Alabama's new private school tax credits and holding a statewide referendum on legalizing a state lottery.
Beasley says he's assessing support and will make a decision soon. The deadline for Democrats and Republicans to sign up is Feb. 7.
Beasley comes from a political family. His wife, Rebecca, is mayor of Clayton. His brother, Montgomery attorney Jere Beasley, served eight years as lieutenant governor and ran for governor in 1978.
One Democrat is running so far, Fayette businessman Kevin Bass. On the Republican side, Gov. Robert Bentley is seeking re-election and has primary opposition from former Morgan County Commissioner Stacy George.
The party primaries are June 3.