Most Active Stories
- Siegelman Denied New Trial, Mental Health Budget Concerns
- Layoffs for Alabama Workers, Solar Sail Set to Launch
- Granade Issues Same-Sex Ruling, Busy Travel Weekend Expected
- Biden comments on civil rights and Selma, Bloody Sunday anniversary, Montgomery music premiere
- Historian Says Don't 'Sanitize' How Our Government Created Ghettos
Fri January 3, 2014
Ala. Sen. Billy Beasley Considers Run For Governor
Democratic state Sen. Billy Beasley of Clayton is considering running for governor.
The four-term legislator says his campaign platform would include repealing Alabama's new private school tax credits and holding a statewide referendum on legalizing a state lottery.
Beasley says he's assessing support and will make a decision soon. The deadline for Democrats and Republicans to sign up is Feb. 7.
Beasley comes from a political family. His wife, Rebecca, is mayor of Clayton. His brother, Montgomery attorney Jere Beasley, served eight years as lieutenant governor and ran for governor in 1978.
One Democrat is running so far, Fayette businessman Kevin Bass. On the Republican side, Gov. Robert Bentley is seeking re-election and has primary opposition from former Morgan County Commissioner Stacy George.
The party primaries are June 3.