Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
Fri January 3, 2014
Ala. Sen. Billy Beasley Considers Run For Governor
Democratic state Sen. Billy Beasley of Clayton is considering running for governor.
The four-term legislator says his campaign platform would include repealing Alabama's new private school tax credits and holding a statewide referendum on legalizing a state lottery.
Beasley says he's assessing support and will make a decision soon. The deadline for Democrats and Republicans to sign up is Feb. 7.
Beasley comes from a political family. His wife, Rebecca, is mayor of Clayton. His brother, Montgomery attorney Jere Beasley, served eight years as lieutenant governor and ran for governor in 1978.
One Democrat is running so far, Fayette businessman Kevin Bass. On the Republican side, Gov. Robert Bentley is seeking re-election and has primary opposition from former Morgan County Commissioner Stacy George.
The party primaries are June 3.