Most Active Stories
- Auto workers petition to block UAW, 2015 red snapper season and Cycling League state championship
- Restraining order against Lear Corp, First Lady at Tuskegee and Tallapoosa County tax vote
- Gambling bill hearing, potential mental health cuts and Alzheimer's research
- Red Snapper Season, Alabama High School Cycling League
- Where Poor Kids Grow Up Makes A Huge Difference
Fri January 3, 2014
Ala. Sen. Billy Beasley Considers Run For Governor
Democratic state Sen. Billy Beasley of Clayton is considering running for governor.
The four-term legislator says his campaign platform would include repealing Alabama's new private school tax credits and holding a statewide referendum on legalizing a state lottery.
Beasley says he's assessing support and will make a decision soon. The deadline for Democrats and Republicans to sign up is Feb. 7.
Beasley comes from a political family. His wife, Rebecca, is mayor of Clayton. His brother, Montgomery attorney Jere Beasley, served eight years as lieutenant governor and ran for governor in 1978.
One Democrat is running so far, Fayette businessman Kevin Bass. On the Republican side, Gov. Robert Bentley is seeking re-election and has primary opposition from former Morgan County Commissioner Stacy George.
The party primaries are June 3.