Most Active Stories
- Siegelman Denied New Trial, Mental Health Budget Concerns
- Layoffs for Alabama Workers, Solar Sail Set to Launch
- Granade Issues Same-Sex Ruling, Busy Travel Weekend Expected
- Biden comments on civil rights and Selma, Bloody Sunday anniversary, Montgomery music premiere
- Historian Says Don't 'Sanitize' How Our Government Created Ghettos
Politics & Government
Wed March 27, 2013
Ala Seeking Again to Close Abortion Clinic
Alabama health officials say they're again trying to shut down a Birmingham abortion clinic they claim is operating illegally.
The state asked a judge in Birmingham on Tuesday to close New Woman All Women Health Care, calling it an unlicensed abortion provider.
Operators agreed to shut down the clinic last year after a state investigation found irregularities.
But an attorney for the Department of Public Health, Brian Hale, says the clinic still advertises itself as an abortion provider, and a doctor there still performs the procedure.
A worker who answered at the clinic's phone number said it's now called the Women's Center but declined further comment.
The state says the clinic remains under the control of its longtime owner, and it's asking a judge to shutter the operation.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.