Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
Secretary Of State Resigning
Mon July 8, 2013
Ala. Secretary Of State Joining Farmers Federation
Secretary of State Beth Chapman is taking a political consulting job with the Alabama Farmers Federation when she resigns her public office at the end of the month.
Federation officials say Chapman will start her new job Aug. 1 and work through the 2014 election.
The federation's director of government relations, Brian Hardin, says the organization has a long-standing relationship with Chapman, including endorsing her for state auditor and then two races for secretary of state.
He says the organization needed someone with political experience about the same time Chapman started looking for an opportunity beyond elected office.
The Alabama Farmers Federation is the sister organization of Alfa insurance, and its political action committee is a major contributor to Alabama political campaigns.
Secretary of State Resigning