Most Active Stories
- Auto workers petition to block UAW, 2015 red snapper season and Cycling League state championship
- Restraining order against Lear Corp, First Lady at Tuskegee and Tallapoosa County tax vote
- Gambling bill hearing, potential mental health cuts and Alzheimer's research
- Red Snapper Season, Alabama High School Cycling League
- Where Poor Kids Grow Up Makes A Huge Difference
Business & Education
Fri November 30, 2012
Ala. School District Investigated for Harassment
The Huntsville City School District is being investigated by the U.S. Department of Education over claims of harassment.
Officials say a JROTC instructor at Grissom High School told students that homosexuality is sinful.
GLBT Advocacy and Youth Services, an Alabama nonprofit, filed a complaint with the Department of Education in October.
In their complaint, the organization says the school district failed to prevent and stop harassment.
The school district received a letter from the department of education this week.
District officials say they will work with the department of education's office of civil rights to provide any assistance they need with the investigation.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.