Most Active Stories
- Auto workers petition to block UAW, 2015 red snapper season and Cycling League state championship
- Restraining order against Lear Corp, First Lady at Tuskegee and Tallapoosa County tax vote
- Gambling bill hearing, potential mental health cuts and Alzheimer's research
- Red Snapper Season, Alabama High School Cycling League
- Where Poor Kids Grow Up Makes A Huge Difference
Fri March 14, 2014
Ala. Republicans Replace Candidate In Senate 6
The Alabama Republican Party has changed its candidate in a state Senate race in northwest Alabama.
Republican Party Chairman Bill Armistead says Jerry Mays dropped out of the Senate District 6 race, and the party's Candidate Committee replaced him with Tuscumbia obstetrician Larry Stutts.
Stutts has never run for public office before, but Armistead said he's well known in northwest Alabama because of his medical practice.
The incumbent in District 6, Democrat Roger Bedford of Russellville, is seeking re-election. District 6 covers all of Franklin County and parts of Colbert, Marion, Lauderdale and Lawrence counties.