Most Active Stories
- London Mayor Boris Johnson Settles U.S. Tax Bill Ahead Of Visit
- Gay marriage update, homeless census and National Drug Facts Week
- National School Choice rally, surplus auction and Huntsville desegregation
- Same sex marriage ban still in place, Tuscaloosa celebrates Deontay Wilder
- Girl Scout Cookies, Obamacare, Hospital Shutdown
Fri March 14, 2014
Ala. Republicans Replace Candidate In Senate 6
The Alabama Republican Party has changed its candidate in a state Senate race in northwest Alabama.
Republican Party Chairman Bill Armistead says Jerry Mays dropped out of the Senate District 6 race, and the party's Candidate Committee replaced him with Tuscumbia obstetrician Larry Stutts.
Stutts has never run for public office before, but Armistead said he's well known in northwest Alabama because of his medical practice.
The incumbent in District 6, Democrat Roger Bedford of Russellville, is seeking re-election. District 6 covers all of Franklin County and parts of Colbert, Marion, Lauderdale and Lawrence counties.