Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Garrard sentencing begins, Affordable Care Act anniversary and colorectal cancer awareness month
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
Sun July 27, 2014
Ala. Reacts To Possible Arrival Of Immigrant Kids
Alabama residents have split opinions on whether immigrant children crossing into the United States should be housed at Maxwell Air Force Base.
Officials at the Federal Emergency Management Agency notified Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley's office this week that Maxwell is under consideration for housing the influx of immigrant minors arriving in the country.
Cornelia Simmons told WAKA-TV that she does not mind the proposal. She said there are worse things tax money gets spent on than dealing with the unaccompanied immigrant children who have come to the United States. Drena Cheese said that everyone needs somewhere to stay.
Jeremy Ingram said the immigrants should not have broken the law to come here. He said the government should focus on helping people who are legally in the country.