Most Active Stories
- Auto workers petition to block UAW, 2015 red snapper season and Cycling League state championship
- Restraining order against Lear Corp, First Lady at Tuskegee and Tallapoosa County tax vote
- Gambling bill hearing, potential mental health cuts and Alzheimer's research
- Red Snapper Season, Alabama High School Cycling League
- Where Poor Kids Grow Up Makes A Huge Difference
Jesse Owens Birthday
Fri September 20, 2013
Ala Park to Mark Birth of Jesse Owens
A north Alabama community is honoring what would have been the 100th birthday of Olympic great Jesse Owens.
The Jesse Owens Memorial Park and Museum at Danville will hold a centennial celebration honoring Owens on Saturday, a few days after Owens' actual birthdate.
Owens was born in the Oakville community on Sept. 12, 1913. He moved to Ohio when he was 9.
The museum near his birthplace includes memorabilia from the 1936 Olympics, where he won four gold medals.
The centennial event will include Olympic-style competitions for children, free food and tours of the museum and adjoining park.