Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Jesse Owens Birthday
Fri September 20, 2013
Ala Park to Mark Birth of Jesse Owens
A north Alabama community is honoring what would have been the 100th birthday of Olympic great Jesse Owens.
The Jesse Owens Memorial Park and Museum at Danville will hold a centennial celebration honoring Owens on Saturday, a few days after Owens' actual birthdate.
Owens was born in the Oakville community on Sept. 12, 1913. He moved to Ohio when he was 9.
The museum near his birthplace includes memorabilia from the 1936 Olympics, where he won four gold medals.
The centennial event will include Olympic-style competitions for children, free food and tours of the museum and adjoining park.