Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Mon January 28, 2013
Ala. Organization To Count Montgomery's Homeless
The Mid-Alabama Coalition for the Homeless is gearing up to count the number of homeless people in Montgomery and conduct interviews to determine their needs.
Homeless population counts are required for community agencies to receive funding from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.
Volunteers will target areas of the city where homeless people are known to gather and will distribute food, hygiene items, blankets and coats.
Volunteers in 2012 found 144 people living on the streets of Montgomery, and 507 staying in local shelters.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.