Most Active Stories
- Medicaid Expansion in Alabama: The Battle of the Five Armies
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- Obama to speak in Birmingham, Medicaid expansion opposition and Alabama bike summit
- Obama visits Birmingham, Medicaid expansion, tuberculosis testing at Homewood High School
- Obama to visit Birmingham, Charter Schools bill passed, Aerofest
Mon January 28, 2013
Ala. Organization To Count Montgomery's Homeless
The Mid-Alabama Coalition for the Homeless is gearing up to count the number of homeless people in Montgomery and conduct interviews to determine their needs.
Homeless population counts are required for community agencies to receive funding from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.
Volunteers will target areas of the city where homeless people are known to gather and will distribute food, hygiene items, blankets and coats.
Volunteers in 2012 found 144 people living on the streets of Montgomery, and 507 staying in local shelters.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.