Most Active Stories
- London Mayor Boris Johnson Settles U.S. Tax Bill Ahead Of Visit
- Gay marriage update, homeless census and National Drug Facts Week
- National School Choice rally, surplus auction and Huntsville desegregation
- Same sex marriage ban still in place, Tuscaloosa celebrates Deontay Wilder
- Girl Scout Cookies, Obamacare, Hospital Shutdown
Sex Education-Curriculum Review
Thu July 17, 2014
Ala. Officials Reviewing Sex Education Curriculum
State education officials say they're reviewing public school sex education policies after a state law banning consensual anal and oral sex was ruled unconstitutional in June.
Alabama Department of Education Spokesman Michael Sibley tells Al.com because of the court's ruling, sexual education curriculum emphasizing that gay sex is illegal in Alabama is legally incorrect.
The state's court of appeals overturned Alabama's sodomy ban in June. The law was used to convict a Dallas County man for sexual misconduct despite a jury finding that a homosexual encounter he was involved in was consensual.
President of New York-based Sexuality Information and Education Council of the United States Monica Rodriguez says the law was discriminatory against gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender students, and was a form of institutional oppression.