Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
Mon July 1, 2013
Ala. Officials Award Grant To Voting Rights Center
State officials have awarded Alabama State University with $800,000 in grant funding for the Selma to Montgomery Voting Rights Interpretive Center.
The funding will be added to an existing grant of $1.2 million.
Director of Alabama State University's National Center for the study of Civil Rights and African-American Culture says the center will be located near Hornet Stadium on the university's campus.
Organizers say they hope to open the center in time for the 50th anniversary of the Selma to Montgomery March in March 2015.
Voting Rights Center