Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
Politics & Government
Sun June 16, 2013
Ala. Offering Food Safety Training
The Alabama Cooperative Extension System is offering food safety training to producers who sell at farmers markets.
Officials say the goal is to prevent outbreaks of foodborne illness.
Auburn University professor Jean Weese studies food safety. She said even one outbreak traced back to a farmers market can undermine years of effort that goes into building a customer base.
She said her goal is to reach sellers at farmers markets in all of Alabama's counties. The Opelika-Auburn News (http://bit.ly/123g94U ) reports the team has already completed 34 training sessions in 32 counties.
Information from: Opelika-Auburn News, http://www.oanow.com/
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.