Most Active Stories
- Siegelman Denied New Trial, Mental Health Budget Concerns
- Layoffs for Alabama Workers, Solar Sail Set to Launch
- Granade Issues Same-Sex Ruling, Busy Travel Weekend Expected
- Biden comments on civil rights and Selma, Bloody Sunday anniversary, Montgomery music premiere
- Historian Says Don't 'Sanitize' How Our Government Created Ghettos
Politics & Government
Sun June 16, 2013
Ala. Offering Food Safety Training
The Alabama Cooperative Extension System is offering food safety training to producers who sell at farmers markets.
Officials say the goal is to prevent outbreaks of foodborne illness.
Auburn University professor Jean Weese studies food safety. She said even one outbreak traced back to a farmers market can undermine years of effort that goes into building a customer base.
She said her goal is to reach sellers at farmers markets in all of Alabama's counties. The Opelika-Auburn News (http://bit.ly/123g94U ) reports the team has already completed 34 training sessions in 32 counties.
Information from: Opelika-Auburn News, http://www.oanow.com/
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.