Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Sat August 3, 2013
Ala. Nuclear Plant Ends Alert Over CO2 Leak
Alabama Power has lifted an alert caused by a carbon dioxide leak at a nuclear power plant.
The utility said the alert was lifted Saturday at 11:10 a.m., about five hours after it was first declared.
Alabama Power spokesman Ike Pigott said the carbon dioxide release was detected in an auxiliary building of the Unit 1 reactor at Plant Farley. The leak was then contained.
It appears the gas came from a fire suppression system, though no fires were detected. Pigott said the volume of gas was equivalent to what might be released from a large fire extinguisher.
Both reactors continued operating normally. No other equipment failures were reported. No radiation was released.