Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
Fri August 23, 2013
Ala. Mercedes Supplier Rejects UAW Bid
Workers at a Mercedes-Benz supplier in Tuscaloosa have rejected a bid to join the United Auto Workers union.
Employees at turned down the UAW proposal by a vote of 86-to-62 on Thursday.
While UAW organizers urged workers to support unionization, a group of employees joined a group called Union-Free Faurecia to oppose the bid.
The company makes center consoles, instrument panels and other components for car interiors.
Workers at two other Mercedes suppliers in Cottondale voted to join the union last year. The Mercedes plant itself isn't unionized.
Aside from the Mercedes plant in Tuscaloosa, Faurecia also produces parts for Nissan and Volkswagen.
Business & Education