Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Tue April 9, 2013
Ala to Mark Holocaust Remembrance with Ceremony
The state of Alabama is recalling victims of the Holocaust with a ceremony at the Capitol in Montgomery.
The Annual Day of Remembrance will be held Tuesday morning in the Old House Chamber at the Capitol.
The event is hosted by the Alabama Holocaust Commission each April. It's meant to remember those who were killed and suffered during the mass slaughter by Nazi Germany across Europe.
Rabbi Jonathan Miller of Temple Emanu-El in Birmingham will speak, and Gov. Robert Bentley will present a proclamation.
University of North Alabama religion instructor Carl Gebhardt says a few concentration camp survivors may survive, along with some children and grandchildren of survivors. Gebhardt will offer an invocation at the event.