Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Politics & Government
Wed July 31, 2013
Ala Man Gets 40 years in Fatal Shooting at Party
A judge sentenced a man to 40 years in prison for a shooting that killed one person and injured at least nine others at a graduation party in Tuscaloosa.
The Tuscaloosa News (http://bit.ly/13Zcvyk ) reports that 23-year-old Akeem Antwon Prewitt pleaded guilty to opening fire with a pistol at the party on May 15, 2010.
The party was advertised on Facebook by a senior from Hillcrest High School, but others were allowed in, too.
Prewitt started shooting inside a crowded room at an apartment clubhouse, killing 17-year-old LaMarcus Branch. The two were close friends.
At least nine more people were hurt.
Prewitt pleaded guilty to murder and multiple counts of assault. He also admitted assaulting an officer inside the Tuscaloosa County jail after his arrest.