Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Mineral Payments Cuts
Thu March 28, 2013
Ala. To Lose $217K In Federal Mineral Payments
The U.S. Department of Interior is cutting more than 217,000 dollars in federal mineral payments to Alabama over the next five months.
The reduction is part of the 110 million dollars in cuts to 35 states that receive the mineral payments as their share of revenue from energy and mineral production that occurred on federal land within the states and offshore.
The Interior Department is making the reduction as part of the automatic federal spending cuts that started this month.
While the 217,000 dollars may not seem small it's nothing compared to the 53 million dollars the state of Wyoming will be losing thanks to the cuts.
Cutting School Revenue