Most Active Stories
- Siegelman Denied New Trial, Mental Health Budget Concerns
- Layoffs for Alabama Workers, Solar Sail Set to Launch
- Granade Issues Same-Sex Ruling, Busy Travel Weekend Expected
- Biden comments on civil rights and Selma, Bloody Sunday anniversary, Montgomery music premiere
- Historian Says Don't 'Sanitize' How Our Government Created Ghettos
Mineral Payments Cuts
Thu March 28, 2013
Ala. To Lose $217K In Federal Mineral Payments
The U.S. Department of Interior is cutting more than 217,000 dollars in federal mineral payments to Alabama over the next five months.
The reduction is part of the 110 million dollars in cuts to 35 states that receive the mineral payments as their share of revenue from energy and mineral production that occurred on federal land within the states and offshore.
The Interior Department is making the reduction as part of the automatic federal spending cuts that started this month.
While the 217,000 dollars may not seem small it's nothing compared to the 53 million dollars the state of Wyoming will be losing thanks to the cuts.
Cutting School Revenue