Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Fri August 23, 2013
Ala. Judge Must Step Aside In Casino Raid Case
The Alabama Supreme Court has ordered a Macon County judge to step aside from a case involving the state attorney general's seizure of electronic gambling machines from VictoryLand casino in Shorter.
The court ruled Friday on a request by Attorney General Luther Strange to have Macon County Circuit Judge Tom Young step aside. Young has initially refused to give the attorney general a search warrant for the raid in February, but did so reluctantly after being ordered by the Supreme Court.
The Supreme Court's order said a reasonable person could conclude the judge might not set aside his strong views and be impartial in upcoming forfeiture proceedings for the machines. A new judge will hear the case.
The attorney general says that he is pleased with the ruling.