Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Gulf State Park
Thu February 28, 2013
Ala. House Panel Approves Coastal Convention Hotel
An Alabama House committee has approved legislation that would allow the construction of a large hotel and conference center on the beach at Gulf State Park in Gulf Shores.
The House Economic Development and Tourism Committee voted 13-2 for the bill. It would permit a private developer to work with the state in building a hotel with more than 300 rooms and a conference center that would seat more than 1,000 for a meal. The official who oversees state parks, Conservation Commissioner Gunter Guy, says he envisions a facility similar to the Marriott convention hotels that the Retirement Systems of Alabama has built.
Opponents, including a privately operated convention hotel in Orange Beach, say the state is abandoning the idea that state park lodging should be affordable to average Alabamians.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.
Gulf State Park Convention Hotel