Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
2013 Legislative Session
Thu February 7, 2013
Ala. House Democrats: Put Officer in Each School
Alabama House Democrats want to put an armed police officer in each of the approximately 1,500 public schools in Alabama.
Representative Merika Coleman-Evans of Birmingham says the measure is aimed at preventing incidents like the recent school shootings in Connecticut.
At a news conference Wednesday, House Democrats also proposed creating a statewide lottery. House Minority Leader Craig Ford of Gadsden says proceeds from the lottery would be used to pay the cost of placing a resource officer in every school. Ford says proceeds from the lottery would also be used to pay for scholarships for Alabama high School graduates.
The bills were part of a package of priorities announced by House Democrats.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.