Most Active Stories
- London Mayor Boris Johnson Settles U.S. Tax Bill Ahead Of Visit
- National School Choice rally, surplus auction and Huntsville desegregation
- Same sex marriage ban still in place, Tuscaloosa celebrates Deontay Wilder
- Girl Scout Cookies, Obamacare, Hospital Shutdown
- Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore Speaks Out on Same Sex Marriage Ruling
2013 Legislative Session
Thu February 7, 2013
Ala. House Democrats: Put Officer in Each School
Alabama House Democrats want to put an armed police officer in each of the approximately 1,500 public schools in Alabama.
Representative Merika Coleman-Evans of Birmingham says the measure is aimed at preventing incidents like the recent school shootings in Connecticut.
At a news conference Wednesday, House Democrats also proposed creating a statewide lottery. House Minority Leader Craig Ford of Gadsden says proceeds from the lottery would be used to pay the cost of placing a resource officer in every school. Ford says proceeds from the lottery would also be used to pay for scholarships for Alabama high School graduates.
The bills were part of a package of priorities announced by House Democrats.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.