Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Wed May 2, 2012
Ala. House Committee Approves 2 Abortion Bills
Montgomery, AL – Two bills aimed at making it more difficult for a woman to get an abortion have passed an Alabama House committee. A public hearing was held in a Senate committee, but no vote was taken on another bill that is seen as a step toward banning abortion all together
The House Health committee approved on a voice vote Wednesday a bill to allow the state to opt out of providing health insurance for abortions under provisions of the new federal health care law. The committee also approved a bill that establishes new rules for abortion clinics.
The Senate Health Committee held a public hearing Wednesday on a bill by Republican Sen. Phil Williams of Rainbow City that says life begins upon fertilization of an egg and implantation in the womb.
(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)