Most Active Stories
- Selma 1865-- The First "March to Freedom"
- Selma-- "This is something I'll tell my kids..."
- From Bloody Sunday to a White Wedding
- SPLC response to Supreme Court decision, Alabama charter schools and food insecurity fundraiser
- AL Supreme Court halting same-sex marriages, State of the State address and charter schools
Thu June 12, 2014
Ala. Hospital Patient Tests Positive For Legionella
University of Alabama Birmingham Hospital officials say another patient has tested positive for a bacteria that can lead to a type of pneumonia.
UAB Hospital officials said Thursday that a ninth patient tested positive for legionella bacteria. The Jefferson County Department of Health has also said a hospital visitor tested positive for the bacteria.
Two of the eight patients who initially tested positive for legionella later died. Their causes of death are unclear.
According to federal health officials, legionella bacteria typically spreads through water. Hospital officials have said the facility's water system was treated and flushed with 160-degree water after the first cases were reported.
Hospital officials say they're working with county and state health officials along with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.