Most Active Stories
- Medicaid Expansion in Alabama: The Battle of the Five Armies
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- Obama to speak in Birmingham, Medicaid expansion opposition and Alabama bike summit
- Obama visits Birmingham, Medicaid expansion, tuberculosis testing at Homewood High School
- Obama to visit Birmingham, Charter Schools bill passed, Aerofest
Interstate 20 Reopening
Wed September 4, 2013
Ala. Highway Agency Reopening I-20 At Birmingham
The Alabama Department of Transportation says it's ending what has been a traffic nightmare for many travelers near Birmingham.
The state says it will reopen westbound Interstate 20 in eastern Jefferson County on Thursday, weather permitting.
About 74,000 vehicles travel through the area each day. The state closed first the eastbound and then the westbound lanes for resurfacing work.
The detours have led to traffic jams and delays, but the state says all the work is supposed to be done by early winter.
The nearly $39 million project is rebuilding 9.8 miles of Interstate 20 in all in both directions.