Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
Sat September 7, 2013
Ala. Guard Unit Heading To Afghanistan
Another Alabama National Guard unit is getting ready to go to Afghanistan.
The 1103rd Combat Sustainment Support Battalion out of Eufaula will deploy overseas after training at a mobilization station.
A departure ceremony is planned for Saturday morning at Lakepoint Resort in Eufaula. The unit will move overseas this fall.
In Afghanistan, the more than 60-member unit will help with closing bases and moving equipment and supplies.
More than 21,000 members of the Alabama Guard have been called to active duty in response to the terror attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.