Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
Private Schools Tax Credit
Tue March 5, 2013
Ala. Governor to Sign Private School Tax Credits
Gov. Robert Bentley is ready to sign legislation providing tax credits to parents who move their children from failing public schools to private schools.
Republicans in the Legislature passed the bill on a party-line vote Thursday night, but the Legislature can't officially deliver the bill to the governor until Tuesday afternoon. Bentley says he will sign it after getting it. He calls it one of the best pieces of legislation passed in years.
The Alliance for School Choice says Alabama with become the 12th state with a tax credit program.
The executive director of the Alabama Education Association, Henry Mabry, said the teachers' organization is looking at ways to challenge the legislation in court.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.
School Flexibility bill
Private Schools Tax Credits