Most Active Stories
- Auto workers petition to block UAW, 2015 red snapper season and Cycling League state championship
- Gambling bill hearing, potential mental health cuts and Alzheimer's research
- Restraining order against Lear Corp, First Lady at Tuskegee and Tallapoosa County tax vote
- Red Snapper Season, Alabama High School Cycling League
- Where Poor Kids Grow Up Makes A Huge Difference
Private Schools Tax Credit
Tue March 5, 2013
Ala. Governor to Sign Private School Tax Credits
Gov. Robert Bentley is ready to sign legislation providing tax credits to parents who move their children from failing public schools to private schools.
Republicans in the Legislature passed the bill on a party-line vote Thursday night, but the Legislature can't officially deliver the bill to the governor until Tuesday afternoon. Bentley says he will sign it after getting it. He calls it one of the best pieces of legislation passed in years.
The Alliance for School Choice says Alabama with become the 12th state with a tax credit program.
The executive director of the Alabama Education Association, Henry Mabry, said the teachers' organization is looking at ways to challenge the legislation in court.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.
School Flexibility bill
Private Schools Tax Credits