Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Blastoff for NASA's Orion Capsule! Muscle Shoals and the Rolling Stones
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
Thu June 21, 2012
Ala. Governor Creates Streamlining Task Force
Montgomery, AL – Governor Robert Bentley has created a task force to streamline the state's 22 agencies with law enforcement functions.
Bentley said Thursday that he wants the Integrated State Law Enforcement Task Force to identify savings of 10 percent by Oct. 1 and create a consolidation plan by Dec. 15.
Bentley and task force chairman Spencer Collier said their goal is to reduce staff through attrition rather than layoffs, and find ways to save money without jeopardizing public safety.
Collier, who heads the state's Department of Homeland Security, said the new task force will get into more nuts and bolts issues than two recent state task forces that looked at streamlining government.
(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)