Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Government Spending Cuts
Thu February 21, 2013
Ala. Governor: 24,000 Jobs at Stake on Budget Cuts
Alabama's governor said the state stands to lose 24,000 jobs if automatic government spending cuts kick in on March 1.
Gov. Robert Bentley said the impact was calculated by the National Governors Association. It forecast the biggest impact in Alabama would be on defense-related jobs. Bentley said the Huntsville area would be the hardest hit.
Bentley's comments Wednesday coincided with Defense Secretary Leon Panetta telling Congress that he may have to shorten the workweek for the vast majority of the Defense Department's 800,000 civilian workers if the automatic budget cuts occur.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.