Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Alabama GOP-Gay Marriage
Wed June 26, 2013
Ala GOP Says Gay Marriage Case Hurts State Taxpayers
The chairman of the Alabama Republican Party says U.S. Supreme Court decisions favoring gay marriage are an affront to Christian principles and hurt taxpayers.
GOP chair Bill Armistead says Alabama taxpayers will now "be on the hook" for funding federal benefits to homosexual couples even though a decision striking down the Defense of Marriage Act only affects states where gay marriage is legal.
Armistead says the United States was founded on Christian values, and he says the Bible is clear that marriage can only between heterosexual couples.
The court also issued a ruling that allows gay marriages to resume in California, but the ruling doesn't affect Alabama and other states where gay marriage is illegal.
GOP House Speaker Mike Hubbard says he will keep working to make sure Alabama laws reflect the state's conservatism.