Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Blankets For Needy
Tue October 2, 2012
Ala. First Lady Resumes Blankets For Needy Effort
Alabama First Lady Dianne Bentley is continuing a program to distribute blankets to homeless and displaced families during the winter months. The first lady announced the start of the program called "Blankets with a Blessing" Monday. She said new quilts and blankets would be collected from businesses and individuals through Nov. 13. The blankets will be donated to a domestic violence shelter somewhere in the state. A total of 55 blankets were donated last year and were given to SafeHouse shelter in Shelby County. "Blankets with a Blessing" started in 2004. Bentley said anyone wishing to donate a blanket should bring it or mail it to the Alabama Governor's Mansion gift shop at 30 Finley Ave., Montgomery, 36104, or drop it off at the guard's station at the mansion. Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.