Most Active Stories
- Auto workers petition to block UAW, 2015 red snapper season and Cycling League state championship
- Restraining order against Lear Corp, First Lady at Tuskegee and Tallapoosa County tax vote
- Gambling bill hearing, potential mental health cuts and Alzheimer's research
- Red Snapper Season, Alabama High School Cycling League
- Where Poor Kids Grow Up Makes A Huge Difference
Shelby Drug Grant
Thu November 29, 2012
Ala. County Awarded Anti-Drug Trafficking Grant
Gov. Robert Bentley has awarded the Shelby County Commission nearly $140,000 to fight drug trafficking.
The money will be given to the Shelby County Drug Enforcement Task Force.
The task force performs undercover operations to bust meth labs, and helps investigate violent crimes.
The unit includes authorities from four law enforcement agencies and a prosecutor from the Shelby County District Attorney's Office.
Officials are particularly concerned about heroin trafficking in the county.
The website reports at least 15 deaths in Shelby County were attributed to heroin in 2012.
Authorities say heroin-related deaths in Shelby County have risen since 2009.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.