Most Active Stories
- Siegelman Denied New Trial, Mental Health Budget Concerns
- Layoffs for Alabama Workers, Solar Sail Set to Launch
- Granade Issues Same-Sex Ruling, Busy Travel Weekend Expected
- Biden comments on civil rights and Selma, Bloody Sunday anniversary, Montgomery music premiere
- Historian Says Don't 'Sanitize' How Our Government Created Ghettos
Fri March 15, 2013
Ala. Children's Hospital Begins Organ Transplants
Officials at Children's of Alabama have announced the hospital has begun performing organ transplants.
Hospital spokeswoman Kathy Bowers says the hospital performed its first heart transplant earlier this week.
Before getting approval from the United Network for Organ Sharing, patients who needed heart, liver or kidney transplants were transferred from Children's to UAB Hospital, then back to Children's of Alabama for post-operative treatment.
The procedures are being done in the Benjamin Russell Hospital for Children, a $400 million facility Children's of Alabama opened last summer.