Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Fri March 15, 2013
Ala. Children's Hospital Begins Organ Transplants
Officials at Children's of Alabama have announced the hospital has begun performing organ transplants.
Hospital spokeswoman Kathy Bowers says the hospital performed its first heart transplant earlier this week.
Before getting approval from the United Network for Organ Sharing, patients who needed heart, liver or kidney transplants were transferred from Children's to UAB Hospital, then back to Children's of Alabama for post-operative treatment.
The procedures are being done in the Benjamin Russell Hospital for Children, a $400 million facility Children's of Alabama opened last summer.