Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Thu January 3, 2013
Ala. Casino Gets Liquor License Hearing Moved Up
Alabama's liquor control agency has moved up a hearing to determine if the newly reopened VictoryLand casino in Shorter will get a license to serve liquor.
A spokesman for the Alabama Alcoholic Beverage Control Board, Hal Taylor, said the hearing was moved from Jan. 23 to Jan. 10 because VictoryLand requested an earlier date.
VictoryLand's casino reopened Dec. 18 after being closed two years because of the state's crackdown on gambling machines. State Attorney General Luther Strange is opposing a license because he contends VictoryLand is operating illegal machines. VictoryLand attorney Joe Espy says they are legal electronic bingo.
VictoryLand has a liquor license for its simulcast horse and dog races, but those races are shown on the second floor above the 1,200 machines on the first floor.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.