Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Business & Education
Wed January 23, 2013
Ala. Board to Hear Casino's Liquor License Request
Alabama's liquor control agency is to decide if the newly reopened VictoryLand casino in Shorter will receive a license to sell alcoholic beverages.
The Alabama Alcoholic Beverage Control Board is to meet at 9 a.m. Wednesday on VictoryLand's application for a license.
The casino reopened Dec. 18 after being closed two years because of the state's crackdown on gambling machines. Alabama Attorney General Luther Strange is opposing a license because he contends VictoryLand is operating illegal bingo machines. VictoryLand attorney Joe Espy says they are legal electronic bingo machines.
VictoryLand has a liquor license for its simulcast horse and dog races. Those races are shown on the second floor above the 1,200 electronic bingo machines on the first floor.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.
Politics & Government