Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Wed February 20, 2013
Ala Black Caucus Critical of Casino Raid
Members of Alabama's legislative black caucus are criticizing the state's latest crackdown on the VictoryLand casino at Shorter.
State Rep. Pebblin Warren of Tuskegee says a raid at VictoryLand is unfair to Macon County residents who voted to legalize bingo.
She says it's also unfair that the Poarch Band of Creek Indians continue operating their three casinos when VictoryLand is shutdown.
State Rep. Alvin Holmes of Montgomery says he's worried that people who work at VictoryLand are out of jobs.
State officials seized gambling machines and cash at VictoryLand on Tuesday. They also filed suit to shut down Indian casinos in Atmore, Montgomery and Wetumpka.
State Republican Chairman Bill Armistead is praising GOP Attorney General Luther Strange for trying to close what he calls illegal gambling in the state.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.
Poarch Band of Creek Indians
Arts & Life