Most Active Stories
- Auto workers petition to block UAW, 2015 red snapper season and Cycling League state championship
- Restraining order against Lear Corp, First Lady at Tuskegee and Tallapoosa County tax vote
- Gambling bill hearing, potential mental health cuts and Alzheimer's research
- Red Snapper Season, Alabama High School Cycling League
- Where Poor Kids Grow Up Makes A Huge Difference
Criminal Appeals-Death Penalty
Fri May 2, 2014
Ala. Appeals Court Upholds 8 Death Penalty Cases
A state appeals court is refusing to overturn the convictions of eight inmates on Alabama's death row.
In cases from Jefferson County, the Alabama Court of Criminal Appeals upheld the convictions and death sentences of Justin White; William Bruce Marshal; Demetrius Avery Jackson; and Anthony Lane.
The judges also refused to overturn the cases of Calvin Stallworth from Baldwin County and David H. Wiggins from Russell County.
From Mobile County, the court upheld the convictions and death sentences of William John Zeigler and Michael Bragg Woolf.
Woolf was convicted of killing his wife and their 2-year-old son. While the court upheld his case, the court did tell a judge to clarify a sentencing order.
The eight cases represent 4 percent of all the 197 inmates on death row in Alabama.