Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Birmigham Airport Accident
Wed March 27, 2013
Ala. Airport Using Cabinet Like One That Killed Boy
Birmingham's airport is still using a large panel of video monitors similar to one that tipped over and killed a 10-year-old Kansas boy last week.
The approximately 9-foot-tall cabinet was flashing flight information on three screens near baggage claim Wednesday, five days after a similar display killed Luke Bresette one floor higher in the airport.
A small warning sign tells visitors not to touch the cabinet. A portable metal fence on wheels is in place to keep people away.
Airport spokeswoman Toni Herrera-Bast says a similar cabinet was removed from another area, but she didn't have any immediate information about the one still in use.
The 300- to 400-pound steel cabinet fell Friday, killing the child as his family returned home from Florida. His mother and two brothers were hurt.