Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Birmigham Airport Accident
Wed March 27, 2013
Ala. Airport Using Cabinet Like One That Killed Boy
Birmingham's airport is still using a large panel of video monitors similar to one that tipped over and killed a 10-year-old Kansas boy last week.
The approximately 9-foot-tall cabinet was flashing flight information on three screens near baggage claim Wednesday, five days after a similar display killed Luke Bresette one floor higher in the airport.
A small warning sign tells visitors not to touch the cabinet. A portable metal fence on wheels is in place to keep people away.
Airport spokeswoman Toni Herrera-Bast says a similar cabinet was removed from another area, but she didn't have any immediate information about the one still in use.
The 300- to 400-pound steel cabinet fell Friday, killing the child as his family returned home from Florida. His mother and two brothers were hurt.