Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Politics & Government
Tue August 6, 2013
Ala. Airport Ranks as Country's Most Expensive
A U.S. Department of Transportation report says Huntsville is home to America's most expensive airport, with fares averaging at about $543 per passenger.
AL.com reported Monday that (http://bit.ly/13VraXa ) a 2013 first quarter report by the Bureau of Transportation Statistics found that Huntsville's average airfares are about $164 higher than the national average.
Huntsville has ranked as the country's most expensive airport for three consecutive quarters.
Huntsville International Airport officials in June detailed a $6 million program to try getting airlines to lower fares in an effort to prevent local travelers from driving to Birmingham or Nashville.
Port of Huntsville spokeswoman Chantel Minish says the airport has applied for a $1.5 million grant to help defray startup costs for new and existing carriers at the airport.