Most Active Stories
- Siegelman Denied New Trial, Mental Health Budget Concerns
- Layoffs for Alabama Workers, Solar Sail Set to Launch
- Granade Issues Same-Sex Ruling, Busy Travel Weekend Expected
- Biden comments on civil rights and Selma, Bloody Sunday anniversary, Montgomery music premiere
- Historian Says Don't 'Sanitize' How Our Government Created Ghettos
Politics & Government
Tue August 6, 2013
Ala. Airport Ranks as Country's Most Expensive
A U.S. Department of Transportation report says Huntsville is home to America's most expensive airport, with fares averaging at about $543 per passenger.
AL.com reported Monday that (http://bit.ly/13VraXa ) a 2013 first quarter report by the Bureau of Transportation Statistics found that Huntsville's average airfares are about $164 higher than the national average.
Huntsville has ranked as the country's most expensive airport for three consecutive quarters.
Huntsville International Airport officials in June detailed a $6 million program to try getting airlines to lower fares in an effort to prevent local travelers from driving to Birmingham or Nashville.
Port of Huntsville spokeswoman Chantel Minish says the airport has applied for a $1.5 million grant to help defray startup costs for new and existing carriers at the airport.