Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Politics & Government
Tue August 6, 2013
Ala. Airport Ranks as Country's Most Expensive
A U.S. Department of Transportation report says Huntsville is home to America's most expensive airport, with fares averaging at about $543 per passenger.
AL.com reported Monday that (http://bit.ly/13VraXa ) a 2013 first quarter report by the Bureau of Transportation Statistics found that Huntsville's average airfares are about $164 higher than the national average.
Huntsville has ranked as the country's most expensive airport for three consecutive quarters.
Huntsville International Airport officials in June detailed a $6 million program to try getting airlines to lower fares in an effort to prevent local travelers from driving to Birmingham or Nashville.
Port of Huntsville spokeswoman Chantel Minish says the airport has applied for a $1.5 million grant to help defray startup costs for new and existing carriers at the airport.