Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport
Wed February 13, 2013
Airport Project in Birmingham Two-Thirds Complete
A project to modernize the terminal at Birmingham's airport is about two-thirds complete.
Al.com reports (http://bit.ly/UejcJD) that Tom Wesley of Birmingham's airport authority provided board members with an update on the project this week.
He said the airport authority has spent 67 percent of the $201.6 million allotted for the entire two-phased project at Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport.
Authorities say the project will mean more amenities for passengers and also bring the airport in line with post-Sept. 11 security standards.
Demolition and reconstruction on the first phase, involving concourses A and B, began in June 2011.
Airport spokeswoman Toni Herrera-Bast said the second phase involves the demolition and renovation of Concourse C. It will begin once the other concourses open this spring and should be complete in 2014.
Information from: The Birmingham News, http://www.al.com/birminghamnews
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.
Arts & Life