Most Active Stories
- Siegelman Denied New Trial, Mental Health Budget Concerns
- Layoffs for Alabama Workers, Solar Sail Set to Launch
- Granade Issues Same-Sex Ruling, Busy Travel Weekend Expected
- Historian Says Don't 'Sanitize' How Our Government Created Ghettos
- Biden comments on civil rights and Selma, Bloody Sunday anniversary, Montgomery music premiere
Fri July 27, 2012
AG Seized $283,000 In Cash From Alabama Casino
Alabama's attorney general seized more than $283,000 in cash during a raid on the Center Stage casino near Dothan.
Attorney General Luther Strange has asked a Houston County judge to let him turn over the money to the state treasury and allow him to destroy 691 computer terminals, servers and other pieces of equipment seized in the raid Wednesday. Strange says the equipment and money were part of an illegal gambling operation.
Circuit Judge Larry Anderson is considering the case.
No one was arrested in the raid. But Strange is encouraging the Legislature to increase the penalty for operating illegal gambling equipment from a misdemeanor to a felony. Republican Sen. Bryan Taylor of Prattville tried to pass the penalty this year and says he will try again in 2013.
(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
Electronic Bingo Raid