Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Big Campaign Contributors
Mon December 16, 2013
AEA, Drummond, Creeks Among Big 2014 Donors
The state teachers' organization, a mining company and an Indian tribe that operates casinos are among the top campaign contributions in Alabama for next year's elections.
Campaign finance records show the Alabama Education Association has donated $770,000 to candidates since June. AEA Executive Secretary Henry Mabry said the group is donating to Democrats and Republicans who support public education.
The Birmingham-based Drummond Co. has donated $489,000. That included $25,000 donations to both Gov. Robert Bentley and Attorney General Luther Strange.
The Poarch Band of Creek Indians has given $350,000 to political action committees run by the tribe's lobbyists.
Other big contributions include $314,000 by the Alabama Power Co. Employees PAC and $275,000 by Great Southern Wood, which is owned by Auburn University trustee Jimmy Rane.
Alabama Elections-Campaign Finance