Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Fri February 20, 2004
ADEM Extends Comment Period
By Alabama Public Radio
Phenix City, AL – The Alabama Department of Environmental Management will extend the public comment period on an operating permit for a carbon plant in Phenix City. The decision comes after the N-double-A-C-P accused ADEM of racial discrimination. Chapters in Phenix City and Columbus, Georgia filed a civil rights complaint this week with the Environmental Protection Agency. It says the required public comment period was not publicized properly and denied blacks and low-income residents their right to be heard. Ron Gore of ADEM's air division says another period for written and e-mailed comments will begin in early March and end in early April.