Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Alabama Abortion Rules
Thu October 24, 2013
Abortion Foes Seek Tighter Rules On Doctors
Abortion opponents are asking the state to impose tighter restrictions on doctors performing the medical procedure in Alabama.
The state health agency held a public hearing Thursday on a proposed rule that would drastically reduce the number of abortions a physician's office can perform without being considered an abortion clinic. Such a designation increases state oversight.
Activists told a hearing officer they want even tighter regulations, with doctor's offices unable to perform any abortions without being considered a clinic. They say that would help protect women.
Current rules define an abortion clinic as any facility that performs 30 or more abortions during any two months in a year. The new rule would drop that to 10 monthly.
A state health committee will decide later on the final rule.