Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
Around the Nation
Thu July 18, 2013
96-Year-Old Store Owner Wins Standoff With Robber
Originally published on Thu July 18, 2013 6:45 am
DAVID GREENE, HOST:
Good morning. I'm David Greene. Magaretta Wolf has owned a grocery store in Marshfield, Wisconsin for more than 50 years. So when a masked robber recently demanded she hand over the store's cash, she refused, saying you can have all the Tootsie Rolls you want but I am not opening that cash register. By the way, Wolf is 96.
She didn't even budge when the robber displayed a small knife. Noticing a security camera, he finally ran out the door. Wolf says simply that the money in that register is hers. It's MORNING EDITION. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.