Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
Business & Education
Wed December 25, 2013
$95M BP Amoco plant expansion for Decatur
DECATUR, Ala. (AP) — An industrial plant near Decatur is about to undergo an expansion worth almost $100 million. BP Amoco Chemical Co. says it will invest $95 million in the factory to improve production of three chemicals used for manufacturing. Demand for the chemicals is up partly because they are used to produce plastic beer bottles and tire cord, which also are increasing in demand. The Decatur Industrial Development Board unanimously approved tax abatements for the expansion. While construction work could help the economy over three years of work, the expansion won't add jobs at the plant.