Most Active Stories
- Siegelman Denied New Trial, Mental Health Budget Concerns
- Layoffs for Alabama Workers, Solar Sail Set to Launch
- Granade Issues Same-Sex Ruling, Busy Travel Weekend Expected
- Biden comments on civil rights and Selma, Bloody Sunday anniversary, Montgomery music premiere
- Historian Says Don't 'Sanitize' How Our Government Created Ghettos
Politics & Government
Mon July 8, 2013
533 Citations in 1 Month From Opelika Cameras
Red light cameras in Opelika generated more than 500 citations in the first full month.
Mayor Gary Fuller says 794 warnings were issued in April when the cameras started being used and motorists were getting used to them. The grace period ended when May started, and 533 citations were issued that month. He said June figures aren't complete, but he expects about 300 for the month.
The Opelika-Auburn News (http://bit.ly/1cSD6hG ) reports the cameras record a vehicle and its tag as it goes through a red light. The cameras are in use at four intersections that Opelika officials say have a high number of traffic accidents.
The red light cameras are maintained by American Traffic Solutions of Scottsdale, Ariz. The mayor says there is no investment by the city.
Information from: Opelika-Auburn News, http://www.oanow.com/